- There are over 25,000 species of bees worldwide.
- An adult worker bee's lifespan is about 45 days during summer months.
- A typical Bee colony consists of 30,000 to 60,000 bees.
- Male bees are called "Drones" and they do not have stingers, their only purpose is to mate with the queen bee.
- A queen bee can sting multiple times without dying.
- 99% of the bee colony is made up of female bees known as worker bees.
- The average honey bee's wings flap over 183 times per second.
- Bees have an excellent sense of smell which allows them to find their hive.
- Honey Bees actually dance when they return to the hive to tell the other bees where the flowers are. "Waggle Dance"
- Honey is the ONLY food source produced by an insect that humans eat.
- Worker honey bees transform the floral nectar they gather into honey by adding enzymes to the nectar and reducing the moisture.
- A worker bee will produce just 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
- A honey bee can fly as fast as 15mph.
If properly stored, honey will not spoil: A pot of honey found in an ancient Egyptian tomb was proved to be as wholesome as fresh honey. However, honey will ferment if it is diluted by moisture from the atmosphere or by other liquids. Prevent fermentation by keeping honey containers tightly sealed before and between uses.
Honey is not recommended for children who are less than a year old because their digestive systems may not be mature enough to digest it. It can cause infant botulism which is a rare but serious disease.